Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Orecchiette With Sausage, Kale, and Bell Pepper

Hi All ~

I have to tell you, I think I've found a new favorite pasta recipe. This pasta is addictive - I couldn't get enough of it! Again, this recipe is from the amazing Skinnytaste Cookbook, which you can find here; it's definitely a book that I'd recommend investing in. It has great nutrition facts for each recipe, as well as little anecdotes about cooking that have taught me a lot. This recipe is only one of over 200 great, good-for-you recipes in that cookbook, so buy away. I sort of halved this recipe, because it was originally for 5, but now I'm almost wishing I made more!

I substituted a few of the ingredients, which probably made it less healthy - but it made it cheaper on my end, so as a college student I'm not complaining. Guess I'll just have to hit the gym more!

Ingredients:

  • 1.25 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 1 small onion
  • 1 small red bell pepper
  • 4 garlic cloves
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 8 oz mild italian sausage
  • 4.5 cups baby kale
  • 7 oz orecchiette
  • 1/8 cup grated pecorino romano or parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 teaspoon red crushed pepper - optional
Tools:
  • Large chopping board
  • Large, sharp knife
  • Measuring cups and spoons
  • Wooden spoon
  • Large, deep skillet
  • Pasta strainer
  • medium saucepan for pasta
Directions:
1. Prep your veggies
Dice the onion and red bell pepper, and mince the garlic cloves by hand or in a food processor

2. Boil water for pasta
Boil about 4 cups of water in the saucepan; add the 1.25 teaspoons salt for flavor.

3. Cook your veggies and pasta.
While your water is boiling, heat the skillet over medium heat, and add the olive oil, onion, bell pepper, garlic, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook, stirring, until the vegetables are soft. By this time, your pasta water should be about ready to boil; add your pasta to the boiling water, then cook according to directions.


4. Add sausage and strain pasta
Add your sausage and cook, breaking it up into small pieces with a wooden spoon. Cook until browned (6 to 8 mins). Your pasta should now be done cooking - pour it into a strainer, but save a cup of the pasta water.


5. Add kale
Add in the kale and cover for about 3 minutes. Uncover, then cook for another 3 minutes. 


6. Add the pasta in
Pour the pasta into the skillet with the sausage and vegetables. Add 1/3 of a cup of the reserved pasta water, and increase the heat to medium-high. Add the 1/8 cup of cheese and the red pepper flakes if using. Cook for another 2-3 minutes, and add in more pasta water if needed. Serve immediately.


There you go! A fast, easy pasta dish that's both delicious and healthy! 


As always, if you made this dish, let me know how it turned out! You can comment below or tag or hashtag me at kitchen512 on Instagram or Twitter. If you have any questions, feel free to email me at eatsatkitchen512@gmail.com.

Happy Eating!
-Tiffany

No comments:

Post a Comment