Thursday, January 29, 2015

Kimchi and Tofu Stew

Hi All ~

I may have said this before, but winter makes me crave soup. Winter also tends to make me fat and lazy, because I don't want to workout (though, when do I ever), and I don't want to eat cold vegetables. So, I decided to make this delicious, spicy kimchi tofu stew! I derived this recipe from the one on chow.com.

I call it a stew, but it's really more of a soup - it's kind of a twist on the Korean Soondubu Jjigae. Don't ask me what that means. All I know is that it tastes delicious. And it's good for you too! The gochujang and kimchi are both spicy, which promotes a faster metabolism and good digestion.


    Ingredients:
    • 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
    • 1/2 medium yellow onion
    • 1 medium zucchini
    • salt
    • 1 cup kimchi (I used Napa cabbage)
    • 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
    • 2 teaspoons gochujang
    • 1 teaspoon soy sauce
    • 1 14 oz package tofu
    • 1-2 large eggs
    • 1 cup white rice
    • green onions for serving
    Tools:
    • Large stock pot or large saucepan with lid
    • Large serving spoon
    • Cutting Board
    • Medium Knife
    • Measuring Spoons/ Cups

    Directions:
    1. Prep your veggies and make rice
    Dice your onion and your zucchini; I cut my zucchini in rounds, then quartered the rounds. You want the pieces to be slightly smaller than bite sized. Roughly chop the kimchi into long strips, and drain the water from the tofu package. Start making the rice now.


    2. Sauté the onions
    Heat your pot or saucepan to medium heat. Pour the 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil into the pot, and heat until shimmering; add your diced onions, and season with salt. Stir until soft, about 5 minutes.


    3. Add the other vegetables
    Add the gochujang, and stir to combine - cook for about 1 minute. Add the zucchini, and stir to combine. Then, add the kimchi and cook, stirring occasionally, until simmering, about 2 minutes. Add the chicken broth and soy sauce, and bring to a boil.


    4.Add tofu
    Using the large serving spoon, add the tofu to the soup by large spoonfuls, and press down to cover with broth; be careful not to break the tofu up into tiny pieces. Simmer until the tofu is heated, about 3 minutes.

    5. Add eggs, if using
    If you are adding eggs, crack them into the pot now. If you are the only one eating this, I would recommend only cracking one in now; when you reheat the soup, heat it in a saucepan over medium-high heat, and crack another egg then. If you crack all the eggs into the soup now, it will taste gross when you reheat them. After adding the eggs, cover and let simmer for about 2 minutes. During this time, you can slice your green onions in long strips to use as garnish.


    6. Serve!
    Serve the soup hot, and garnish with the green onions; be careful not to break up the eggs or tofu when serving. Serve with a side of rice.


    As always, if you made this dish, let me know how it turned out! You can comment below or tag or hashtag me at kitchen 512 on Instagram or Twitter. If you have any questions, feel free to email me at eatsatkitchen512@gmail.com.

    Happy Eating!
    -Tiffany

    No comments:

    Post a Comment